Are you an avid cyclist? You don’t want to do without your bike on holiday and go on tours with it? Then we recommend that you mount a bike rack on your car! What options there are, how you can best attach the various bike racks – you will find out all this from us! Of course we also have tons of tips and tricks up our sleeve! N / A? Are you already curious? Then let’s get started!
Installing a bike rack: these options are available
The easiest and safest way to transport your bike in the car is to attach a bike rack. Here you have various options. Which are they? We’ll tell you:
Good to know: For vans and minibuses there are also certain bike racks for the interior. This allows you to transport the bikes safely inside the vehicle.
As promised, we now also explain in more detail how you can mount the various bike carriers. Are you ready? Then let’s continue!
Bike carrier for towbar: attachment
We’ll tell you now how you can mount a bike carrier on the trailer hitch! First things first: Depending on the bike carrier model, you have different mounting options. Which are they? We list them:
- Clamp lock with stabilizer bush
- screw cap
- clamping device
Clamp, screw and tensioning device or not: the procedure for attaching the bike rack is basically always the same – only the locking device is different. Of course, we will also explain how to proceed with the assembly – step by step! Ready? Here we go!
Mount the bike carrier on the trailer hitch
First of all you should Degrease trailer hitch. This prevents the bike rack from slipping while driving. To do this, simply wipe the ball head of the trailer hitch several times with a clean paper towel. Done? Then we start with the actual assembly of the bike carrier:
- First, spread out the bike rack directly in front of or behind the trailer hitch.
- Now open the lock of the bike carrier so that you can also attach it to the ball head.
- You can then lift the carrier onto the trailer hitch and lock it.
- Finally, all you have to do is plug the connector into your car’s trailer socket and check that the bike rack is secure.
everything tight? Perfect! Then the bikes can already be charged! But now we also want to explain to you how the various locking mechanisms work.
Fasten the hitch bike carrier – clamp or screw connection
We have already told you that there are three different ways to do this. Now, of course, we will also explain to you how you can successfully carry out the assembly with the different types of fasteners:
- In the clamp in conjunction with a stabilizer bush, you attach the bush to the ball head and align it.
- Then you can insert the bike carrier with the guide bolts into the anti-roll bar socket and lock it with the toggle nut.
- Make sure that the guide bolts are vertical!
- But it is one screw connectionyou first place the bike carrier on the trailer hitch and align the carrier horizontally.
- You can then lock the bike rack in place using a socket wrench and a mounting rod.
- Once it is properly seated, tighten the locking screw with a torque wrench.
Attaching the hitch bike carrier – with a clamping device
The easiest way is to use a bike rack clamping device assemble:
- Before you put it on, open the lever device completely and then put the bike carrier on the ball head.
- Then you press the clamping lever down completely and lock the anti-theft device.
Did you know that? There is already one in every bicycle carrier with a clamping device anti-theft device integrated. Handy, right?
Now your bike carrier should sit securely on the trailer hitch and not slip while driving when braking and steering – not even in the event of emergency braking. So now you can also charge the bikes.
Important: Before loading you should again the support load of the trailer hitch check. It counts namely these and not the towing capacity of the car. Subtract both the weight of the bike carrier and the weight of the bikes to be transported from the support load of the hitch. If the result of this calculation is positive, everything fits. If the result is negative, the weight is too high and you must leave at least one bike behind.
Just because your car doesn’t have a trailer hitch doesn’t mean that you have to go on vacation without your bike. For such cases there are bicycle roof racks. Of course, we also have the instructions for their assembly up our sleeves – we’re going to continue with them now!
Installing a roof bike carrier: Here’s how
The assembly of a bicycle roof rack is easy to explain. The attachment is only a little difficult if you are alone. So if you cannot easily reach onto the car roof, you should get a ladder and an assistant before assembly. Is that done? Then you can start right away with the step-by-step instructions:
- First you have to (if you don’t already have one) attach a basic carrier to the roof of your car.
- If you drive a station wagon, you can simply attach it to the roof rails.
- Otherwise you can also mount the base support in the area of the door frame using clamping feet.
- Off-road vehicles often have special fixing points to which you can screw the carrier.
- As soon as the basic carrier is in place, you can already mount the bicycle roof carrier on it.
- Here, too, there are bicycle carriers that either have to be screwed or clamped – you can find more information in the operating instructions for the bicycle carrier.
Before you set off on holiday with your bikes, there is only one important step left: you not only have to mount the bike rack, you also have to attach the bikes properly to it. But that is also the last step of the holiday check before you can leave. Of course, you can also find out from us how best to do this – right next!
Fasten the bike to the bike rack
Depending on the bike carrier used, there are also different options for attaching the bikes themselves:
- The tires of the bicycles are usually included straps detained.
- If these are not yet integrated into the bike carrier, you absolutely have to get tension straps.
- Most bike racks also come with one frame holder fitted.
- All you have to do is attach it to the frame of the bike – and a secure hold is guaranteed.
- To ensure a perfect fit are also included Mounting arms for the pedals found on some bike racks.
Now that you know all about installing a bike rack, we want to know: Do you often take your bike with you when you travel? What type of bike rack did you choose? And above all: How did the assembly go? Tell us about your experiences in the comments!